Friday, October 23, 2009

A fond, but sad, farewell.


I shed a lot of tears today, I still am. Mostly tears of sadness, but there were some tears of happiness mixed in.
My Grandma died today. I don't like the term "passed away". Passing is something that continues on, death does not. It's an end to something wonderful and to some, like me, a new beginning. My Grandma died today. It wasn't unexpected but it is sad all the same. She had been hospitalized, moved into an assisted living facility and hospitalized again within the last year and a half. We were so lucky to have her as long as we did. And I know she is amazingly happy right now.
I am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. I have a glass of wine next to me. It was her glass. One of a set of four that my mom had given her for Christmas a few years ago and there wasn't room in her new home for them. I got them. I enjoyed them while she was still here and I will enjoy them more now, knowing that now she is so much happier.
My Grandpa died in March of 1996. That was very hard for her. It was hard for the entire family, but you knew she was suffering because she had lost the love of her life. There was a spark that they shared that I haven't seen from anyone else. They literally lit each other up. My Grandma once told me that she wished Grandpa could have met my husband. She knew they would have really like each other. I believe they would have too.
Since then, I graduated college, got married and had 2 children. All of which she has been a part of. My kids are so lucky to have met her!! Even though I know they won't remember her, I know how much she enjoyed them.
I will miss visiting with her when I go back home to Minnesota. I will miss the card playing, wine drinking and talking.
But with all I will miss, I will also know that she is so incredibly happy right now. She is with the man of her dreams. Playing cards and drinking wine, maybe a few Manhattans thrown in. It must be such a beautiful feeling.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...