Saturday, December 26, 2009

Somewhat Merry Christmas

I felt a bit sad this Christmas. It was our first Christmas that we stayed home in Arizona and didn't fly home to Minnesota. Yes, I said home twice for two different things, but Minnesota will always be home to me. Arizona is where we live and each year is beginning to feel more like home. See what I mean? Buddy didn't have any vacation left from work, so the hard decision was made to stay put. It is very hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit when then air isn't freezing cold, white doesn't blanket the ground and we don't have to bundle up before setting foot outside. The house is decorated because I really enjoy that part of the process. At night it does feel more festive because of the tree and banister and other spots are lit up. Still, it's hard being away from home.
Christmas Eve day, we spent outside in the front yard cleaning up the yard, trimming the trees. After getting all dressed and ready for church, we headed out. Now, Christmas Eve is always the one day of the year I do feel like I should be in church. I love to sing along, listen to the prayers, watch all the little ones in their dressed up cuteness and reflect on the year past. So, I was looking forward to going to a church where I hadn't been to Christmas mass before. Well, the place was beyond packed, bursting out the doors; people standing in every nook and cranny. We tried to settle into the crying room, but once in had to stand in the back against the wall and couldn't even see the alter. There was no way we'd be able to even somewhat enjoy the service standing with both kids, so we left. Oh, we weren't the only ones heading to our car, there were quite a few who had the idea too.

Once home, we let the kids open one gift they had gotten from some friends and luckily they were toys that kept them busy until dinner. Dinner came and went and onto gifts from ourselves to ourselves. Hayden was in heaven with his loot, Maya still has that unsure thing going on about opening gifts. She likes to rip the paper, but doesn't quite get that there is something underneath it. All in all, we had fun, enjoyed our little family and called it a night by placing cookies out for Santa, sprinkling the reindeer food on the front yard and heading to bed.

Christmas morning was a thrill with both kids getting a new four-wheeler/quad. Hayden's is still a smidge big, but he's a growing boy! Maya LOVES hers and knows to push the button to get it going. We opened gifts from Buddy's side of the family and had a low key day of relaxing, playing with the new toys and eating.

It was a good Christmas looking over the last two days. I did find myself reminiscing in my head of Christmases past. Ones from years and years ago as well as the more recent ones of our little family. I found myself getting teary thinking of Christmases with my Grandparents. I remembered where the trees were, piles of gifts, the food, cookies and all the family. I missed seeing my nephews and nieces open our gifts to them and the caos that comes it.

It wasn't the first year I spent the holidays away from home, it was the second. But it was the first one my parents didn't have the grandkids around. Luckily, thanks to the Minnesota Gophers, they are coming down tomorrow for a week and that alone has made being without close family here at Christmas easier. We will be able to celebrate with them and my brother and sis-in-law even though it's a few days late.

I hope everyone did have a wonderful holiday whether you were snowed in, without family or with all of your loved ones. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

2 comments:

Mark, Shannon,Trey, Boston, & Lola said...

Well im glad your parents are coming!!!! I hope you have a great week with them!

top knot extensions said...

Im glad your parents were able to come at least. and thanks so much for the fun games for the boys and outfit for vanessa!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...