Monday, June 7, 2010

The Old and the New, together

I am happily and sadly putting my Grandma B.'s treasures amongst mine own. My living room feels more homey with an end table and lamp. My stairs landing is finally complete with a black console table and my bedroom finally has a seating area with a recliner perfectly named, Hayden (seriously, it's a Lay-Z-Boy line; Hayden).

Tonight I was putting away the silver serving pieces I have. A huge heavy platter, cream and sugar bowls, teapot, relish tray and two pieces I have no clue as to what they are called but do know their purpose.

As I was laying out the pieces on my dining room table, I was picturing in my mind where to put each one. I know I cannot put them all out for the world to see, but I needed to put something out in the open. I have a hutch, it's small, but it serves it's purpose. I looked at the hutch and looked at my table and smiled. I have so many wonderful things from 2 wonderful families and am very lucky to have anything, much less everything I do have.


On the top shelf, I inherited VERY delicate crystal from my Grandma and Grandpa W. These champagne and water goblets have a beautiful floral/lace pattern that reminds me of my Grandma. I never saw them used, but I can picture her picking them out. They are so delicate, I was cleaning them once, and the stem just broke off. I don't dust them much anymore. Next to them are mine and Buddy's wine and water goblets we picked out for our wedding. We have used them for a couple Thanksgivings now. Hopefully we will do more elegant dining when the kids are older. Isn't it amazing how the years change the style? I figure Grandma's were purchased around the mid 1930's and mine are from 2000+. They don't make detailed like that any more.

On the middle shelf are the silver serving pieces I just received. A casserole dish, I am guessing, a relish platter: this has a glass insert for, and the tea/coffee pot. My mom and I polished these up when I went home in March. They were pretty blackened as they hadn't been used in many years, but they cleaned up beautifully. I am anxious to use some of these pieces for Thanksgiving this year.

In the middle of the shelf, in front of the tray are sorbet/ice cream cups in a lovely cranberry color. These are from my Grandma W. I remember these on display at her home dining room on the huge built in hutch painted pink. She had a thing for pink. I haven't used these yet, but they are really pretty.

And, the bottom shelf. The candlesticks coordinate with my Grandma W's crystal. These were given to me by my aunt and uncle, also my godparents, for my wedding. I was really touched that she remembered that I had received her crystal and wanted me to have the candlesticks to complete the set. I had also gotten a serving bowl and platter with the glasses, but they are so big, I have no space.

The two highball glasses I DO remember using at my Grandma W's. There were tall glasses and short glasses in this lovely cranberry color with a grape bunch etched twice on each. I can picture her holding hers at the table and enjoying having her family there with her.

In the middle of the bottom shelf is a new Mikasa bowl I received for my wedding in 2000. This bowl has been used many times. It is so pretty with the cranberry salad for Thanksgiving. Pretty on its own as well.
*sigh*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...