Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How'd ya get their names?


While pregnant with my children, we never told people what we were naming them. 1: we didn't know what we were having and 2: I didn't ever want to hear, "oh, I know/knew someone with that name, he/she was a brat/etc." or see that look on someone's face like, 'really? you're picking that name?' I think Buddy blabbed once, before we were even close to having them, so there were a few people who knew, but I never told. That I can remember anyway.

I get asked how their names have come to be and thought I would share.

I'm not sure where I heard Hayden's name. I just liked it when I did. I've read a few books which have a character who's name is Hayden, so I assume it's from them. I always thought it was slightly original too. Now I hear it everywhere. His middle name is James, my dad. Not that I had to use it, I really did like how the two went together.

Maya's name, however, I remember exactly (almost exactly) where I heard it. It was in high school and my family was coming home from a ski trip to Montana. We were on the shuttle bus that took us from the airport to the parking lot where we left our car. On the bus was a little girl about the age of 3, with brown, curly hair and simply adorable. I was watching her sit in her seat and play. She got up once and her mom said, "Come here, Maya." She turned around, her curls bouncing on her shoulders and she returned to her seat.

I fell in love with the name. When I thought of the name Maya, I always like the middle name Christine. I just liked the sound of them together. I had a great aunt, Christine, but I don't think this was how I put the two together.
All of this was before I had met my future hubby and baby daddy, of course. :) I was just lucky enough that he liked her first name and really liked the middle name. His real name isn't Buddy, it's Christopher, like his dad's. Also, he has a sister, named Christine.

And now, I have a curly haired little girl named, Maya Christine. I think it fell into place just perfect.

1 comment:

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

I think on that shuttle bus you had a sweet vision into your future. (I love when the time-space continuum folds in on itself.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...